Had d&c due to a missed abortion. Had to clean the uterus. Correct process?

I have just had d&c due to a missed abortion . The sonographer said that the heartbeat had stopped and my ob said that the baby and sac looked good but since there was no heartbeat, we had to clean out the uterus . She said that they could not miss such a big thing and make a mistake with the sonography . I want to know if this is 100% accurate on the scan or should I have asked for a second scan just to be sure that they didnt miss the heartbeat cause my gut feeling was that my baby was still alive.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013