Had breast cancer, had rib surgery to remove lump, painful, tenderness in the area. Reason?

I had rib surgery to remove a lump, they took out a small portion front left side just under breast, sorry don t know the rib number the surgery was a year ago. Now I have tenderness below and to the side of where surgery was, not at the sight of the surgery. The area that is painful I can cover with my entire hand it is quite a large area that is tender and if I apply slight pressure it is very painful, I keep looking for a bruise but there is none I never hurt this side. Prior breast cancer on the same side , left breast. What could this pain be from?
Asked On : Sat, 1 Sep 2012