Had blurred vision. Re occurrence of staph infection in leg. Optic nerve damaged in right eye. What should I do?

My husband traveled in a plane in 2008 and immediately had blurred vision in his left eye coming out of the plane when he landed.

In 2009 he was lifting up on his truck to help get it unstuck from a ditch and popped something in his left leg. Since then he developed a staph infection in that same leg and in the area where the injury occurred. The staph infection has been reoccurring since then.

In 2011 his vision in his left eye was almost completely gone. He was tested for MS but all the tests did not conclude that he had MS. Instead he was diagnosed with Optic Neuritis.

In 2012 his vision in his right eye began to blur, he lost his peripherial vision, and can see from only the top part of the eye, nothing below. This time he was diagnosed with AION. The doctor that originally thought he had MS also thought he had AION but there wasnt enough conclusive evidence until he lost vision in his right eye. His optic nerve is damaged and swelling. He has taken Predisone. The doctor said AION came on due to my husband not taking care of his sleep apnea properly. She told him to wear his machine, lose weight, drink plenty of water, and take a daily chewable aspirin to control the swelling. My husband has done all of what she recommended and recently his optic nerve has swollen again and he is back on Predisone.

I fear that he will go blind, he is very depressed about losing his vision, and I'm concerned that maybe it might be from the reoccuring staph infection that originally caused the lack of blood flow to his optic nerve...what should we do next?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013