Had bleeding bowel movement, from rectum. Will it stop?

I am 28 female, in good health wieght- 126lbs. I have had a few different occurences with bleedind during bowel movements.There is always alot of dark blood in the toilet that will actually stream or leak out of my rectum , hardly any when wiping. The bleeding lasts 3 consecutive bowel movements over a period of a few days and will stop but return again about 4-5 months later. This has happened twice this year so far. Any advice?
Asked On : Fri, 21 Sep 2012

Thank you for the query.

Any blood in stool should be investigated as soon as possible. Dark blood in stool can be caused by bleeding from peptic ulcer, gastric cancer, colon polyps, colon cancer, Crohn`s disease or by vessels malformation. Such symptom should not be neglected, even if not associated with any other symptoms like stomach pain, nausea, weight lost, etc.
So first of all you should have colonoscopy and upper GI endoscopy. Abdominal ultrasound and fool blood work should be performed as well.
Hope this will help.