Had bleeding and large clot discharge. Taking birth control. Had miscarriage earlier. Cause?

I am currently on birth control and not expecting to get my period for another week and a half. However, I do get the odd break through bleeding (usually light) if I am a little late taking a pill, but yesterday I encountered a strange situation...I felt a little crampy throughout the day and then suddenly felt a gushing feeling. I went to the washroom and found that my pad was saturated with blood and felt an saw a very large clot like thing hit the bowl. It did not seem to be just a period clot. However I watched for more bleeding but it faded quickly and by this morning there is none. Could this have been a miscarriage or is there something more I should be concerned about? I did have a miscarriage a few years ago, but I knew I was pregnant at the time and was in the hospital when it happened and had to have a D and C afterwards.
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013