Had bilateral myringotomy, otitis externa. Having excruciating pain while administering ear drops. Reason?

Male, White, 30 years of age now, residing in Orlando, Fl. I was seen by ent for evaluation of what my PCP had dx d a cholesteatoma of L ear (turned out to be misdiagnosis - thought he saw attic crust I guess, CT both ears, mastoids, etc were normal). i had bilateral myringotomy with tympanostomy tubes (flanged type) placed during an endoscopic excisional biopsy to evaluate thickened, severely erythematous adenoid tissue which had been seen on previous nasal endoscopy (performed to rule out masses of nasopharynx ,etc as causes of chronic otitis media ). All sampled tissue was non-neoplastic, inflammatory, etc blah blah. Tubes placed at that time since I was under general and.. why not do it then. This was all roughly 2 years ago. Things went well after surg. Tubes still in place. I have had several occurances of otitis externa with or without middle ear involvement (cytological microscopy of smears of discharge typically reveal abundant rods and occasionally cocci - obviously infectious). Ciprodex has been Tx of choice. The grand problem: It hurts so badly to instill any medicine that I simply can not and will not do it. About 5 seconds after admin I feel an intense and increasing burning that extends to my throat and down my neck - as though some it were burning a hole inside me. It is a 10/10 on pain scale and lasts for 5 minutes to 5 hours. It is truely excruciating. I went back to my ent for exam - i was dxd with fungal overgrowth and put on clotrimazole 1%. I cant use it either! I tried miconazole! I tried with glycerine base vs polygycol and the bottom line is.... What condition can cause absolute intolerance of instilled otic medicines because of pain?
Asked On : Sat, 22 Dec 2012