Had appendix rupture, cannot read, spell slow. Why does my brain not work?

I had my appendix ruptured when i was 7 my mom took me to the doctor and thay said i had a colded and went home it hurt so bad i went to aother doctor and appendi rupturex i was in the hopital for 2mouth did notno how to walk or talk eat now am 30 and cant read ,speell slow at everythi g i do i z hake real bad my brain dont work rite
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Hello
Probably there was an insult to your brain following appendix rupture that you had at 7 years age. The effect on brain could have been due to spread of infection to brain, decreased blood supply to the brain or a variety of other such things. Only the review of your medical records of that time can help us come to a definite conclusion. What you can do now is that you can consult a psychologist who will assess your mental abilities. They will assess you strengths and weaknesses and then you have to go through a program of 'cognitive retraining'.
Wish you good luck.