Had anticoagulation therapy. What could be causing consistently high d-dimer?

I had a P.E last year, which there was no cause found. I have had 6 months of anticoagulation therapy . I had my d-dimer retested 3 months ago and it was found to still be high (this was 3 months into anticoagulation). I have just had my d-dimer again and it is still high - around the 3000 mark. I have had a CT scan also 3 months ago to rule out any further clots which came back clear. I want to know what could be causing my consistently high d-dimer?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Mar 2013