Had an abscess. Noticed the same ear become red, inflamed and swollen. Will a course of antibiotics treat this or do in need to get operated?

I had an abscess behind my top right ear 9 years ago shortly after having a piecing. This was cut and drained and has since been fine until yesterday I noticed the same ear become red, inflamed and swollen. I'm guessing the abscess has returned. Will a course of antibiotics treat this or is it likely that it will need to be operated on again?
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Your description is not very clear. Usually, the 9 year old condition may not be the one troubling you now. Did you have a recent injury in that area? But if you are sure that it is an abscess, it cannot be treated by medicines alone. An abscess has to be drained.Go see your ENT specialist for further management.