Had abortion. Passing bright red clots since 4 weeks. Ultrasound shows clot in uterus. Need D&C to stop bleeding?

I am 37 and had a medical abortion 3 1/2 weeks ago. I was 8 weeks pregnant when I had my abortion. I took the oral medications given to me by the doctor . Bleeding and the miscarriage followed. I have since continued to bleed and bleed heavily passing large clots. I have had 2 visits to my ER. Upon ultrasound they said I had tissue retained in my cervix (not my uterus ) and will have to pass it on my own. I went home and 5 days later returned to the ER with the same thing heavy bleeding and passing clots. Another ultra sound showed no tissue but a large clot in my uterus and bleeding still. They sent me home on 0.2mg methergine tablets 3x s a day for 3 days. I am still bleeding not heavy but thought the methergine would help control/stop the bleeding. I am worried that I will need to have a D & C to control the bleeding. Is this normal to be bleeding and passing clots still and bleeding for 4 weeks straight (heavy bleeding/bright red and large clots)?? I feel like I have gotten bad care form the ER doctors and my OBGYN on call.
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013