Had abdominal discomfort, proctitis, irritable bowel syndrome. Having pain in sternum. Blood tests normal. Reason?

I have always had abdominal discomfort all my life.I have proctitis and irritable bowel syndrome .For the past six weeks I have pain just under my sternum that does not go away.The ultrasound shows a dilated pancreatic duct (5 mm);it was 3 mm four years ago;and the gallbladder duct has sludge in it.All blood test results are normal-including amylase .
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013

Thank you for the query.

Pain under the sternum can be due to peptic ulcers or stomach inflammation. Usually it does not give any changes in laboratory tests and it is invisible in the ultrasound. The best way to have it checked is upper GI endoscopy with Helicabacter Pylori test.
Pancreas duct dilation should be investigated with abdominal CT, as ultrasound is not a good way to visualize pancreas. You should also visit gastroenterologist and consider ERCP procedure which will clear the situation with pancreas ducts.
Chest pain should be also checked with heart condition, and at least heart ECG should be done.
Hope this will help.