Had a valve replacement, performed tracheostomy because of lung collapse. Again advised replacement. Why ?

My nephew just had a valve replacement , hie is 24 yrs old and very healthy before he went to undergo surgery, he is still iin icu for 6 weeks already, and the doctor said that his lungs collapse and they performed tracheostomy bec of his lung collapsed.they said that they gave 17 bags of blood transfusion . I am curious if something went wrong during the surgery. He had valve replacement 10 yrs ago and they just have to replace the valve again after 10 yrs.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013