Had a tonsillectomy. Has sore tongue, red scars. What is wrong?

Hi, My son had a tonsillectomy 19 days ago. 7 days ago he had bleeding from the wound and was admitted to hospital overnight and was give IV antibiotics . He now seems ok apart from occasionaly compalins about a sore tongue when he sticks it out. We have looked in his mouth and apart from a bit of red scarring everything looks fine. We are due to drive down to see family tomorrow which is a 7 hour journey and the traffic will be bad and I just wanted to ask if its ok to be travelling for this length of time especially as we might be stuck in traffic for some of this time. Thanking you in advance
Asked On : Wed, 26 Dec 2012