Had a suspected Patella Tendanitis. Still sore. Tendons take too long to heal?

I have had a suspected (not confirmed) Patella Tendanitis for over a year. GP referred me to physio and I am still at the physio. Its still sore (not progressing). My thinking is I should see a Ortho. Surg and have an MRI to look whats really bothering this knee - I am worried that scar tissue/adhesians have now formed due to aggrevated tendon a year on. What would you advise? I am in the gym 3 days a week building the quad muscles and glutes and swim weekly too but this isnt changing the pain and discomfort level in that area. I realise tendons take a long time to heal but where do I draw the line. thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 7 Sep 2012