Had a surgery to close atrial septal defect. Blood test showing abnormal levels of MPV, RBC and potassium. Is elevated MPV due to alcohol use?

I am a 35 year old woman. I had successful surgery a year and a half ago to close an atrial septal defect in my heart. I ve recently had a blood test that shows an MPV level of 11.7, an RBC count of 3.83, hemoglobin 11.9, hematocrit 34.2, and potassium 3.5. All other results were healthy and normal. My doctor said the elevated MPV was from drinking alcohol. I am a vegan, eating nothing from an animal. Is the MPV more likely due to anemia and possibly a B12 deficiency? I am concerned about these levels.
Asked On : Mon, 6 Aug 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi there,
After surgery there is no chance of recurrence of atrial septal defect. Increase in Mean Corpuscular Volume (MCV)can occur in macrocytic anemia which is usually due to folic acid deficiency, pernicious anemia. The point is it is not specific for alcohol intake though alcohol has not nutritional value rather it causes deficiency of essential nutrients so you are advised to refrain. I would suggest you consult your doctor (not a cardiologist or cardiac surgeon) and take some nutritional supplements(those are available OTC) but these reports are to be recorded and repeated after 2 months of therapy due to multiple causes one needs to follow up. And please avoid alcohol- it can also precipitate irregular heart beat which is perhaps only complication of ASD closure which can occur. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)