Had a root canal, cavity drilled out, tooth has temporary filling. What can relieve pain?

I had a root canal start (cavity drilled out, tooth packed with temporary filling and anti-biotic to kill any infection). After the initial pain wore off Friday, I was fine. I woke Saturday to immense pain in my neck , jawline, and ear that seems to radiate from the base of my tongue on the side of the procedure. Every time I tilt my head back or extend the neck muscles on that side, I have TONS of pain. The pain is the worst when sleeping/wake up. Went back to the dentist and they said it was normal, that there was nothing they could do. But it hurts so bad I can t sleep. Please help.
Asked On : Fri, 4 Jan 2013