Had a pet dog scratch on leg, did not wash the wound well. Dog vaccinated for rabies. Within how many days of scratch should I go for rabies pep?

HELLO SIR HOPE YOU WILL HELP ME IN THE FOLLOWING SITUATION. My friend owns a pomeranian dog which was vaccinated for rabies 2 and a half year ago(in our country, pet owners are not required by law to get pets vaccinated regularly). I (30 years old) visited my friend at his home four days back (on 23.06.12). The dog was chained since I was an stranger for the dog (I went first time to my friend s home)and I fear dogs. Somehow, the dog broke loose and ran towards me. He didn t attack me at all but started playing with me near my legs. At the time, I was in shorts and wore nothing below knees. In the process, I got a scratch (below knee) which I don t know was from his nails or teeth . The scrath was mild and didn t bleed . I washed the scratch immediately with soap and water for 1-2 minutes. Later I came to know that I should have washed for 10-15 minutes and should have applied alcohol/ iodine after washing which I didn t do. This dog sometimes comes in contact with other dogs and cows. The dog is pet and available for observation for 10 days. My questions are 1. Should I go for rabies PEP and if not should I consult a physician. 2. Can I wait for 10 days to observe if dog starts showing any rabies symptoms. 3. Is there any chance that a rabid dog starts shedding rabies virus and doesn t die/shows symptoms even after 10 days. 4. If the dog was rabid, how many days I have left with to go for PEP successfully considering location of scratch and considering that it was a scratch not a bite. Thanking you in anticipation.
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012