Had a permanent filling in molar tooth, painful. Suggested RCT. What is going on?

Hi, iam 39 years old female. Few months back i had permanent filling in molar tooth ...cavity was slightly deep. Now often i get pain. Same doctor adviced me to provide a medicine in my tooth and have permanent filling and if it doesnot work she suggested me RCT. My question is if the cavity was already deep why didnt she suggest me RCT or medicine that time itself? Ad now i have a doubt whether to go for medicine or straight away for RCT?
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013