Had a little patch of red on the back neck. Its spreading all over and becoming more dark red. What should I do if the progression on this rash continues ?

Hi, I have a 3.5years old boy. This morning when he woke up, he had a little patch of red on the back of his neck and behind his ear. I thought he may have been bit by a mosquito but within the hour, he had an extremely itching red rash in between his legs and on the band of his pants. Later we discovered it was also around his ankles. We thought it may have been a new fabric softner. We changed his clothes and wiped him down. As the day has progressed, so has his rash. It is now going up his trunk and becoming even more red. What should I do given his age and the progression on this rash?
Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013