Had a food phobia since childhood, unable to overcome it. Any suggestions ?

I m 25, female and I ve had a food phobia since I was a child. Basically I got sick several times when eating fruit and veg. I got scared of eating any fruit and veg for fear that it would make me sick. And now virtually all fruit and veg does make me sick. I know it s all in my head but I m still terrified to eat it because it makes me sick. I hate being sick. I don t know what to do. I know it s all in my head, but that doesn t stop me from being sick every time. I need to eat the stuff but I literally can t and I don t know where to turn or what to do.
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012
In order for our bodies to properly function, we need to eat a well-balanced diet. For those who avoid eating certain foods, essential nutrients can be eliminated from their diet, causing symptoms of malnutrition - fatigue, dizziness and weight loss. Long term effects of malnutrition can include loss of hair, anemia, low blood pressure, fragile bones, kidney failure and many other medical conditions.
Individuals with food phobias can be treated using a cognitive behavior approach to change thought processes and a psychodynamic approach for discovering an pinpointing the exact cause of the fear.Treatment using desensitization helps sufferers relax by first having the food which caused a reaction placed in front of the participants and discussing their fear.I suggest to consult a Psychiatrist for further management.Hope this helps.Take care.