Had a cut on the knuckle. Tip of the finger motionless after healing. Is the tendon damaged?

About a week ago I cut my little finger with a knife right at the proximal inter-phalangeal joint (the joint that connects lower and middle part of a finger). It was more like a strike than a cut because I did it with a blunt knife. The wound healed and I can bend the finger at that joint but the distal phalanx (the tip of my finger) is still motionless, no matter how hard I try to move it.

I'm pretty sure I didn't cut the nerve because I would not have any sensation which I have. My guess is that I cut the tendon or I can't move it because of the trauma (my finger is still swollen and a bit purple at the place of the wound). I didn't go to see a doctor because the cut wasn't deep and the wound was small and I didn't have a need to stitch it up.

So I am wondering, does anyone had a similar experience. Will I be able to move my finger after the swell is gone and if the tendon is damaged will it repair itself (of course by constantly exercising it and rehabilitating)? I'm really worried and I want your opinion on it. I like to comfort myself and think that I can't move it because it is swollen and because of the trauma the knife caused. If I'm not able to move it after the swell is gone I'm certainly going to see a doctor.

Thanks very much for your help in advance!
Asked On : Thu, 28 Mar 2013