Had a bump on the head after receiving a blow. Should I be concerned? Was that a contusion?

Between end 2010 to beginning 2011 my head received a blow [ middle-to-lower-left side ]
that left a raised area of a bump. I felt it significantly. It stayed there for 2-3 weeks and now I don't think it's there anymore.
-Did I have a contusion?
-Will my mental faculties be affected by incidents like this?
-Is the saying that our IQ will drop true? Would head injury/incidents like this lower IQ?
Symptoms : No migraines, no urge to vomit, just had to sleep by resting on my right for a period. Appetite's fine.
Did people lose neurons when they have that kind of damage to the head?
Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013