Had a UPT test, results not appropriate. Reason for wrong reading?

I took and tescos own brand pregnancy test today and the instructions were one line going down in the control window to show the test has worked and if that was the only line it was a negitive test and the other window was supposed to be one line going down for a positive. Well i got the line going down in the control window but the in the other window i got a line going sideways (the oppisite way to what the instructions said) i am very confused and feeling really down as i have been trying to conceive for about 6 months now and i am 11 days late.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Dec 2012