Had a Depo provera shot, have spotting and sometimes heavy bleeding. Is this normal?

I have been on the depo-provera shot since October and have not had a period since. 3 weeks ago I started spotting brown (old blood ) discharge and it has been going on since. Sometimes it will be red but most of the time brown. Sometimes it will be very little throughout the day sometimes a lot at once. Is this common and what should I do to make it stop? I am due for my next shot on the March 4th. Should I just go back to the pill?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013