Had a DVT, had blood clots, has anti-coagulant disease, blood thinning. What can I do?

My father is 63. For the most part very healthy, however did have a DVT in his leg approx. 1 year ago. He has been in the hospital for over a week with another blood clot which starts behind the knee , comes to the front and is now half way up the thigh. They have been treating with coumidin (sp) trying to get his blood thinned. They cannot get a reading more than 1. We have found out he has anti coagulant disease and now has severe pain in the thigh of the other leg as well. We are not seeing any relief. They have him on pain meds for the pain in the other leg which started 2days ago however, the Dr.s have not done any kind of ultrasound since he was admitted over a week ago. Is there any kind of surgery that can be done to remove the clot? If he has one in the other leg now too, is there ANYTHING that can be done besides using the coumidin?? It seems like something should be done and that this would be serious. They say even though they are now doubling the doses they are not seeing any reaction as far as the blood thinning. We are in a very rural area and I dont believe our Doctors are very knowledgeable in this case. Please help! We are located in Corning, NY and dont even know if he could be moved to somekind of specialist or even where to go if he could be moved.
Asked On : Thu, 10 Jan 2013