Had ACL recon. How can I get strong again?

5months ago I had acl recon. I need to get strong again but pain is discouraging. I feel good, bike ride fifteen minutes then I am sore for days. I don t weight bear easily and I am hesitant to bend knee when I lean down. This is my 2nd graft on same knee. First one, 15 years ago and it seemed perfect, til I tore it in a fall. I am discouraged and 48 years old.
Asked On : Sun, 26 Aug 2012
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. Physical rehabilitation after ACL surgery may take several months to a year, and 5 months is a very short time period.The length of time until you can return to normal activities or sports is different for every person.
2. After an ACL injury and surgery, the knee is never "normal." [ as you have torn your graft,keep one thing in mind: Revision ACL reconstruction is generally not as successful as the initial ACL reconstruction.
3. because it causes Limited Range of Motion, thus cause of your complaint [hesitant to bend leg]

PS: Surgery immediately after the injury has been associated with increased fibrous tissue leading to loss of motion (arthrofibrosis) after surgery.. so check with your Orthopedic surgeon for necessary instructions and post operative rehabilitation.