Habit of biting nails, accidentally bit of tons of layers leaving hardly any nail. Will it grow back?

Over the years, I have had a bad habbit of biting my nails . Recently, it has gone down, but I had a bit of a relapse and bit my left thumb nail down alot. I did not make the nail shorter, rather I bit off a ton of the layers so that my nail is not bumpy, and in some parts very squishy. I feel like there is harly any nail left and am worried that it wont grow back and it will stay squishy for the rest of my life. How will it grow back, and will it grow back? The squishy part is at the part of my nail where it goes into the skin.
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013