HSG shows blocked left Fallopian tube. Period is late. Can I be pregnant?

I had an HSG done last February 14, 2013 that s 10th day since my first period, my right fallopian tube is ok but my left is blocked ( Hydrosalpinx ) . I want to know why until now still don t have period? My last period is February 5, 2013 before my HSG. Is it possible that I might pregnant? I have a regular period every month, I have 30days cycle.
Asked On : Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that you are pregnant if you are sexually active, you can consider doing a home pregnancy test to determine whether this is the case. There are tests which can detect low levels of the HCG hormone, these would be more accurate in the early stages of pregnancy.

There are other causes of delayed period such as: poor nutrition, intense physical activity, emotional or physical stress, abnormal levels of thyroid hormone, high levels of a hormone called prolactin and a condition called PCOS. PCOS stands for polycystic ovarian syndrome ,it is associated with irregular periods, problems conceiving, cysts in the ovaries, hair growth on the face. chest or abdomen and insulin resistance.

If the test is negative, you can consider waiting a few more days to see if your period occurs. If it does not then visit your doctor who may perform a blood level of HCG and suggest other tests as well.

I hope this helps

General & Family Physician Dr. Achuo Ascensius's  Response
thanks for using health care magic.
The first thing to rule out in a sexually active woman with absent menses is a pregnancy. This could easily be done by using a home pregnancy test which is very sensitive after the expected date of menses in testing for pregnancy.
With single tube, fertility is preserved provided there is no underlying microscopic damage present. Hydrosalpinx is most commonly caused by infections of the pelvis. Pelvic infections can predispose to ectopic pregnancy which is a severe complication and you have to always take it into consideration . This should be by doing a pregnancy test as soon as possible when ever you missed your period and if the pregnancy test is positive, you do an ultrasound to determine the position of the pregnancy.
Regarding your query, there is a chance that you could be pregnant but this would be confirm or ruled out by doing a pregnancy test.
Best regard and hope this helps.
Dr. Achuo

OBGYN Dr. Mrs Sumeet Baheti's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
As you have patent right tube, this missed period can well be due to pregnancy.
You need to get Urine pregnancy test done for confirmation of pregnancy.
If it is positive, you need to consult your doctor and fix an appointment for Usg.
If it turns out to be negative, you need to get yourself examined for ruling out other possible causes for delayed periods.
Hope this information is helpful.
Good Luck.
Dr. Mrs. Sumeet Baheti