HBP, diabetes, been on medications. Advised to decrease amaryl, increase metropol, quit diltiazem. Advise?

I am on 4 or 5 medications for HBP and have diabetes that seems to be pretty well controlled with diet and medication (A1C last week was 6). I don't have insurance for meds. Most all of mine are on the $4 list, except diltiazem, which is fairly expensive. I asked my doctor last week if there is a less expensive substitute. He decided I should decrease my amaryl dose by 50% (from 2mg daily to 1mg), increase metoprolol from 50 mg to 75 mg (twice a day), and quit the diltiazem. Only I forgot to ask him how to quit taking it. Can I just stop? I've read some things suggesting that could be a Bad Idea.
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013