Gush of blood after periods. What can cause this?

its been 15 days since the beginning of my last period, it was a normal period-which isnt normal for me-and tonight i thought I started again but when i went to the bathroom, there was a purpleish color in my blood , and it was only that one gush of blood, after i left the bathroom the bleeding stopped. what can cause this?
Asked On : Sat, 3 Nov 2012
If you have always had regular cycles with normal menstrual blood flow, this mid-cycle bleed is definitely abnormal. Ovulation is sometimes associated with some amount of spotting along with pain. The altered color is perhaps due to some old blood. Also, the possible rupture of a cyst should be borne in mind. Either way, a sonogram of the pelvis, preferably in the trans-vaginal route along with a speculum examination should be able to help you out. Hope this helps.