Gums swollen, hurt after flossing quite vigorously. How to reduce swelling?

I had root canal on a tooth a few months ago and all has been well until a few days ago. I flossed around the tooth quite vigorously. The next day the gums were a little swollen and the tooth hurt slightly. Since then the tooth has continued to feel heavy with the same sensation in the surrounding teeth and gums. The pain is worse at night and i ve taken advil which helps for many hours until the next night. There is no bleeding and no discharge from the gums.
Asked On : Mon, 21 Jan 2013