1. Grade A GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease
) is a less severe form of Reflux Esophagitis
2. What are your friend's symptoms and weight? Any current medications like anti blood pressure medicines which may lead to a lax LES ?
3. Have PPI medicines been tried?
4. Fundal Mucosal Prolapse may signify a Hiatus Hernia
5. General measures to avoid surgery include raising the head end of the bed, smaller meals, weight reduction, avoiding spicy, fatty meals, coffee, alcohol, smoking
and tobacco. Avoiding stress, tight belts and clothing.
6. Esophageal pH monitoring and manometry are newer ways to test the extent of reflux.
7. Long term reflux can damage the esophagus
(Barret's Esophagus). Surgery is an option if medicines and lifestyle changes fail to control the reflux.