Got scratch on arm by a dog. Noticed swelling and redness. Should I consult a doctor?

hi i was scratched by a dog s teeth on 8th of dec.the scratch was on my arm(near elbow ),however the skin didn t break but it swelled and appeared red(nips and scraps) for 2-3 hours.Afterwards it healed up itself.i am confused,whether i should consult a doctor or not.the scratched mark was very small and is no more visible now.
Asked On : Thu, 20 Dec 2012
hi dear

most important thing in your case is to find the condition of dog....if dog is pet and normal at present then there is nothing to be done as 10 days waiting period has passed...if dog was the stray dog, then you should ascertain that whether dog's saliva entered your wounds or the bite was over your clothes your case it appears that probably bite was a superficial one and since 10 days have already passed and you are having no problems so you can relax

hope i was able to clear your doubts

Dr Sachin Verma
General & Family Physician Dr. Mamun Kabir's  Response
if the skin integrity was normal and wounded area washed properly then you need not to worry.about seventeen days has you need not to consult a doctor.