Got periods on time, had pain during inserting and removing tampon, small fragments of discharge, continuous spotting. Cause?

I started my period on time this month. About 3 days in I was experiencing a slight pain during insertion of a tampon and experienced the same with the removal. After 6 days I noticed the color had changed to more of an orange/red color and small fragments of discharge . I am now on day 10 and have cramps , I m very lethargic and the orange/red color continues. It s not a flow, more of go to the bathroom, wipe, and it s there. I plan on calling in for an appointment tomorrow. Any idea what this may be?
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013
Radiologist 's  Response
the discharge and pain could be due to genital tract infection( cervicitis / vaginitis) so you can consult a gynaecologist who would take a PAP smear , do the local examination ( par vaginum) and refer you for an ultrasound and prescribe you vaginal pessaries and antibiotics depending on the infection.