Got hurt by a rusty nail on foot and having unbearable pain. Soaked foot in hot salt water, applied peroxide, taking codine for pain. How to relieve pain? What do you think is causing pain a tendon injury?

I had a rusty nail puncture top of my foot yesterday afternoon. I originally had minimal pain but as the night progressed to be almost unbearable. My tetnes is still good [2003] I have soaked in hot salt water, put peroxide on it and am taking codine for pain. It is sore to walk on foot and also tonight is extremely painful even at a rest. Any advice? what do you think is causing pain a tendon injury? It did not puncture very deep but went thru the top of my firefighting bootabout halfway between toe and heel closer to the outside but top of my foot.
Asked On : Mon, 18 Jun 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear patient,

It is of utmost importance for you to go to the ED to be assessed, since these symptoms can be related to a bacterial infection, which may progress if left untreated. Likely by your description you will require antibiotics. Also, it is highly likely that you need a tetanus booster, since you are exactly at the 10 year mark.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN