Got hot flash, cold chill, nauseous and a bit lightheaded. Normal?

I ve always had heavy periods and clots- when I was younger the periods were very painful- I ve had 4 children and my tubes tied 20 years ago - I am 48- I think menopause is on its way or here - the last 2 months I ve had occassional spotting that starts about 1 week before my period starts and occassional spotting about a week after my period. This month the 1st day of my actual period I suddenly had a hot flash then a cold chill and got very nauseous and a bit lightheaded - this lasted about an hour and a half- then I felt better but a bit weak after a nap. That was Monday morning and I ve felt fine since. Is this something that may be normal while going through the change ?
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013