Got edema in lower legs, painful, normal BP. What sort of treatment should i pursue?

Greetings, Dr. Grief,
I am a 55 yo female in mainly good health. I take synthroid, for 13 years now. I get edema in my lower legs, and they are usually painful to touch, ie, I cannot tolerate a massage that includes legs. The visible varicose veins, mainlly lle, are tender to touch, but also my upper legs are painful when massaged. I have a normal BP (120/70's).
I have always had a pulmonic murmur, but only grade 1 or 2 at most.
What sort of evaluation/treatment do you think I should pursue? I don't want things to progress ant further!
Maureen G.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013