Going for holiday, wants to prepone periods. Taking birth control. Can I change the dosage to prepone my menstrual cycle?

I am going on holiday and have worked out that I will still be on my period for the first 3 days of the holiday. I am on the pill and am on my second month taking it back to back. I don t fancy going for a 3rd month without a week off. I was wondering if I could stop taking it on the day I was supposed to anyway - but a week earlier, take 7 days off and take it again as normal. Would this make my period come a week earlier and stay away for my holiday?
Asked On : Tue, 10 Jul 2012
Mar 2014
Hello and welcome,

It is difficult to predict when the period will come, but most of the time it comes about 4-5 days after stopping the pill. So time the stopping of pill in such a manner that the periods will come and be completed by the time you go. So a 10 day window would be sufficient, meaning you stop it 10 days before the date of travel and get over with the period and begin a new pack before going off.

Remember to use a backup method like condom until the starting of next pack [ after stopping the pill] as you are not completing the cycle of pills.

Hope this satisfies your query.

Thanks for using HCM.

Happy holidays.      
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde     
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist