Given heparin after appendectomy. No family history of blood clot. Why was it given?

I was given heparin immediately following appendectomy tuesday night. They gave it 2x day until Friday when I was discharged. Extreme pain in flank area, vomiting and diarrhea brought me back to doc today for cat scan and they said I had internal bleeding (150cc) and that it must have happened from staple not working when they tried to cut off blood supply to appendix during surgery. Why, if I am healthy 40 yr old female was I given heparin if no family history of blood clot?
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012