Getting numbness, pins and needles all over body. What is the disease?

My daughter who is 28 years of age has terrible sensation of pins and needles seen a neurologist says it could be MS, she has had MRI scans, lumbar puncture (which was horrific as she was punctured three times in the space of an hour) now they are saying they dont know what it it! I would like to know what causes the pins and needles, and the numbness.
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013
Dec 2012
Hello Susan,

Thanks for posting on HCM
Pins and needles all over her body could signify many underlying diseases conditions notably (given her age) according to most probable to least:
- vitamin B deficiency
- systemic viral infections
- diabetic neuropathy
- kidney diseases
- liver diseases ( notably viral hepatitis)
- MS ( very unlikely as clinical presentation is unlikely since she is presenting only with one of the numerous symptoms that can lead to even suspicion of the diseases)
- other autoimmune diseases
- psychogenic neuropathy ( will need to consult with a neuropsychiatrist)
- other causes such as allergy etc
What to do now? some blood works need to be done notably screening for diabetes, kidney function, viral serology tests such as HIV, viral hepatitis B&C, CMV etc.
Taking vitamin b complex supplements in optimal dosage is a good way to start for at least a month.
You need to be reviewed by an internist

Hope this helps
General & Family Physician Dr. Zainab Hassanali's  Response
hello, well they are many causes of feeling numb, diabetes can make you have numbness, vitamin b12 deficiency can make you feel numb , low calcium levels can cause numbness, gullian barre syndrome can make you feel numb, some drugs can make you feel numb, nervous disorders can cause numb feeling so it is difficult to point to the cause unless you are throughly investigated for to rule out the various causes of which have mentioned few of them.
get a physician review.
hope have been able to answer your query