Getting infections with tightness in ear after piercing it. What should I do?

hi. I pierced my ears 3 years ago for the first time at 26. my right ear healed completely in about six months but my left ear is extremely tight when I put earing in and i get occasional infections in that ear. Should i repierced this ear. The hole is significantly smaller than my right ear. My ears were pierced in my dermatologist office.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

Ear piercing is an art and a weird combination of luck! Many times in spite of taking full precautions the ear gets infected due to a multitude of factors while most of the times even when no precautions are taken they heal beautifully!

Thats the case with you as far as the left side is concerned. Since you are getting recurrent infection in the left side then the most advisable thing to do is treat the infection properly and completely till there is no sign of any infection as confirmed by a doctor.

Later on if you maintain a clean ear and also clean whatever ear ring you are going to wear then you may use the same hole. The hole size can gradually be increased by sequentially wearing bigger studs but believe me it is easier to widen than to make the hole smaller! So do not worry about the hole being small.

Furthermore in spite of your best efforts the infection continues then you need to seal the hole completely and wait for it to heal completely and then re pierce preferably at a different site.

Meanwhile to be on a safer side use only clean and pure gold studs of high quality which do not initiate much reaction

take care of your ears

Dr Sriram Nathan