Gets nervous and starts trembling

Hi. When i m nervous my hands start trembling. For example, I play the flute in band and whenever I have to audition for one of the band directors or play infront of everyone by myself, i get really nervous and start trembling. How can this be prevented or what can i do to stop this from happening. I also notice i tremble very little even though im not nervous. This has been going for a very long time now.
Asked On : Sun, 13 May 2012
Hi and Welcome to Healthcare Magic... Thanks for your question.

From your question I gather that you become excessively nervous and have trembling of your hands, especially during social situations. So, in other words, you seem to be having an "anxiety" problem...
Generally, anxiety can manifest itself in two ways: 1) psychological... i.e. feeling nervous, tensed, unable to relax, etc. and 2) somatic... i.e. bodily symptoms like trembling of hands, rapid beating of the heart, sweating, etc.

Now, it is important to know whether your anxiety is confined ONLY to social situations or whether you keep experiencing some anxiety most of the time and are unable to relax completely. If your anxiety is only confined to social situations and if you are feeling well and relaxed during other times, then you most likely are having "Social Anxiety".

Having some amount of anxiety is normal but it becomes abnormal if... it is either excessive or if it affects your normal functioning...
So, if you feel that your anxiety is present too often or too much or is interfering with your functioning or performance, then you may be having an anxiety disorder and you need help.

Therapy for anxiety disorders is usually of two types: 1) medication and 2) psychological therapies like behaviour therapies, talking therapies, etc. This choice would be based on the severity of your symptoms, the availability of a good therapist and of course, your personal choice as well. Often, relaxation techniques such as breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, yoga, etc. can help a lot in reducing anxiety symptoms.

You also mentioned that you have mild trembling even when you are not nervous. Some people can have a mild basal tremor which is called an "essential tremor", which is generally harmless and does not need any intervention unless it is disabling.

I would suggest that you consult a psychiatrist locally, so that he / she would be able to assess you in detail to find out what type and how severe your anxiety is and whether you need any medication or any other therapy for the same.

Please feel free to clarify any doubts that you have...

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist