Gay, often have unprotected sex, experiencing swelling in lips, no open sores. What could this be?

Dear Dr., I am a gay man who has had unprotected oral sex on several occassions. Recently, I ve been experiencing this symptom where either my top or bottom lip (or both) will get extremely swollen--like ballon size swollen. There haven t been any open soars or infections--just swelling . One of my friends said that it might be an allergy . He drank after me, and his lip got swollen. I suspect that it is the herpes simplex virus , but am confused by the absense of cold soars. What could this be?
Asked On : Fri, 7 Sep 2012