Ganglion cyst on wrist, increasing in size, spreading to thumb joint, severe pain. Chances of nerve damage?

I am really nervous about my appointment today. I have a ganglion cyst on my left wrist that has grown significantly over the last 3 1/2 months and found it branched out and went up my thumb joint area and is possibly pressing on a nerve now. My Dr. did another ultrasound to double check, but asked me if I have ever had nerve damage in any of my previous surgeries and I forgot to tell him about my pillar pain from my rt. carpal-tunnel release. Anyways he then states after I started crying from him lightly touching a certain spot by my thumb joint and he said does it really hurt you that bad and of course I said Yes it really does. It makes me stop even thinking from such a sharp pain. He then says I am really nervous to do this surgery now with you having that much pain. So my concern and worry is nerve damage. I already am limited with my right hand from the cpl tunnel release (from pillar pain) and I just don t know what things I should be asking or looking for or should I be getting a second opinion from another surgeon off base??? Please help!!! Thanks
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013