Ganglion cyst on index finger, infected with bacteria, prescribed antibiotics. Possible test result, healing time ?

Hello! My husband has had a lump on the index finger of his hand and for quite some time now his doctor told him not to be concerned about it. However, within the last few days, the lump has burst, and there has been some leakage of fluid . I told my husband this isn t normal and that he should go see his doctor. That was two days ago. He finally got in there to see the doctor and the doctor has told him that this is a ganglion cyst , and he took a sample of the leakage and/or tissue to send to the lab because he said it s infected, probably with bacteria, and he gave him a prescription for antibiotics. My question is, does this really seem like a ganglion cyst? It was located on the index finger near the first joint , on the outside of the finger, near the nail. And if this is, what should we expect at this point regarding possible test results and healing for him. We have never heard of this before, and he has had this thing on him for at least a year or more that I m aware of! Thanks!
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013