Gagging followed by spitting thick white liquid on spraying water down mouth. Prior had heavy drainage in sinus, tonsil discomfort. Cause?

Tonight I was in the shower and opened my mouth to allow the water to spray down my mouth and I gagged a bit and spit up quite a bit of thick white liquid. Prior to this I had been having very heavy drainage in my sinuses and dis comfort from around my tonsils. I can give more detail, but I have a hunch that it is something related to an area inside my throat around my atoms apple that was somehow trapping saliva/ mucus .
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013