GOUT getting worse in oldage. What medications can help? Will body cope dehydration?

Hi, I have a very close family member who has had gout for a number of year. She has been on several medications over these years but nothing has worked. The gout has got worse and worse and she is 84 years old and in severe pain daily. She has now been taken into hospital and given tables to blast the gout but her body could not cope with this treatment. She is now very dehydrated and on a drip due to the severe diarreah . Can you please give me your honest opinion and advise?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Jun 2012