Fussy 5 yr old eater, Dr recommends Cypon syrup. How good is it ?

hi my 5 year old son troubles a lot while eating his meals. He has no hunger issues, he is happy to see food but after 2-3 morsels he quits. I do not understand if this is a behavioral issue or appetite . I have also tried changing food items as per his taste. His pediatrician has recommended Cypon syrup. How good is it? does it work? what are its side effects? when do i stop using this syrup?
Asked On : Sat, 3 Nov 2012

Thank you for your query.

Cypon syrup contains the salt cyprohepatidine. It is an antihistamine used to reduce cyclical vomitings. One of its effect was noticed to increase appetite and hence its use to increase appetite. Its side effects include, drowsiness, though mild, dizziness, constipation among others.

It can be safely given to your son but no one can predict its effectiveness in reducing fussy eating.

A couple of things that you need to consider are:
1. Is his weight adequate for his age?
2. Is he losing weight compared to his earlier records?
3. Is he being distracted by television, sports, etc. during meal times?
4. Is he being forced to eat during meal times?
As a mother I can understand your anxiety but if he is not losing weight and growing normally then you need not worry. The best course would be to offer him meals at the meal time and give him 10-15 minutes to finish it without forcing him. In case he does not eat, remove the plate and again offer after about an hour or so. You shall be surprised that he will eat himself once he knows that he is not being forced or compelled to eat.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best...