Fusion surgery with implementing microscopy discotomy, tingling and numbness in legs. Hyperreflexia occured and progressive. Ellaborate on the surgery?

hi I am a physical therapist in iran. I have a 41y patient who underwent a t11-12 fusion surgery in June this year. His surgeon implemented miroscopic discotomy and fusion of t111-12.After passsing 5 months he suffers from tingling and numbness and colunus in his left leg. He walks in a spastic gait( hip hiking, circumduction).He is worried about the his conditions, because he thinks that this hyperreflexia has occured because of maltreatment.But i think that these signs are complications after fusion surgey and disappear after 6-12 months.unfortunately he believes that this condition is progressive and i (as a therapist) can not convinced him would you please help me?? would please explain a bit more about this kind of surgery and its complication?
Asked On : Fri, 2 Nov 2012