Fungus in crotch area, jock itch. On clotrimazole. What is going on?

I have had a problem with fungus in my crotch area for quite a long time, known as "Jock Itch", I presume. Over-the -counter creams never wipe it out like they're supposed to, even when I follow the directions properly. To be specific, I've had this ongoing for half my life, and I'm 56 now. I only hope to control it by using Clotrimazole as needed and trying to clean it with soap mornings and evenings. I've never had health insurance, so have never thought I could afford the expense of a dermatologist. Is there any treatment that won't cost hundreds of dollars? By the way, this may have been contracted from a type of fungus from American Samoa- a sailor once said the kind from there was impossible to get rid of. Appreciate your expert advice on this matter...
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013